Wednesday, June 13, 2012

A packed weekend

I cannot tell you exactly what I drove and rode in, per the rule at the bottom of my registration form, but I can tell you that I woke up on Saturday almost as early as I do on a weekday to drive an hour and a half to go to a Chrysler facility in Chelsea, MI.

Chrysler Parking lot with their flags and water tower in the background
That day, Detroit chapter of the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) held a conference for its young professionals.  From what I could understand this conference happens every year but rotates for which of the "Big 3" it's hosted at.  This year, as you read, it was Chrysler.  We met at their proving grounds for a morning of talks and a panel discussion and then an afternoon of interaction with vehicles.  I'm not sure exactly how much more I can say.  What I will say was that that afternoon, in cars, I went over 100 MPH five times.  I was behind the wheel for none of those (of the vehicles we could drive as opposed to ride in, the max MPH we could go was 70), but it was still impressive and lots of fun.  Thanks to some freebies, I've now got a picture to go above my mantle (yes, I have a mantle!).

The poster says "Let Freedom Rev"
Besides the poster, I did manage to snap a picture of this car in the parking lot.


Normally cars aren't this ridiculous, but they are still definitely cooler (and sportier and of greater variety) out here in MI than what you'd see in MA.  For example, when I left my apartment complex today a car that was a couple decades old was coming through the gate.  Saturday night, I watched more of the Stanley Cup finals and made tabbouleh.  Lots of chopping in between periods.

Sunday, I slept in for the first time in about a week, had a tasty breakfast at home and I bought a comforter that actually fits my bed (I was getting by with a full blanket on the queen bed since it's only me).  Then I met up with a friend and former coworker to go strawberry picking.  I picked five pounds of strawberries in 90 degree heat (it was in the 90s basically the whole weekend).

Early June?  Strawberry Season!
After our farm time, we went to have dinner for Ann Arbor restaurant week at a place called Vinology.  The food there was tasty and pretty and creative (cheesecake with a pretzel crust!!), but a bit salty.  Still enjoyable and very enjoyable company.

Some strawberries ended up in these biscuits - it's amazing what you can make when you don't have homework
Once all the weekend stuff was done it was time to pack because I would be visiting another casting plant this week.  At least I could sleep in the car...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...