Monday, January 2, 2012

Rounding out 2011 and Happy New Year!

Last year at this time, I was like any other LGO applicant, eagerly awaiting interview callbacks and hoping I'd get to advance to the next round.  As I wrote in the comments section of one of my other posts, I found out last year on January 7th that I had made it to the interview round.  It was exciting and the next weeks were filled with scrambling to book plane flights and check with friends whether I could stay with them during my visit to Boston.  A lot has happened since then.

Most recently, our winter break!  This year, I spent Christmas with my family (who are also in Massachusetts) and, since they are close by, I have been in and out of my apartment here in Porter Square.  Things have been very relaxing - last week I went out with a friend from high school and a few days later I enjoyed a homemade dinner at another friend's place.  Yum!  Other than that, I redeemed my RedBox free movie on your birthday code, organized things around my room, watched the Top Gear India Special and have been getting excited about our Domestic Plant Trek trip.

New Year's I spent in the middle of Pennsylvania.  It's a bit of a long story, but I was there intentionally and had a good time.

Thinking beyond January, for spring course bidding I did not get everything I wanted first round...the issue is with a class called Pricing.  It's very popular because the coursework is useful and because the professor is good, or so I've heard.  What made it all the more frustrating was that I bid 503 points and you needed something like 519 to get in.  So close!  I've been trying in subsequent rounds that are open to everyone where I have no special priority, but I don't know if I'll get in.  (Note: there is now one spot in each of the sections and I'll find out whether I managed to get one of those from Round II bidding or whether I've been pushed to the waitlist round on this Thursday).  Getting the Sloan courses that you want can be a long and tricky process if they're popular.  On the other hand, I know of people who got what they bid for and had to use hardly any points.

One other thing besides bidding that we had to do over break is to submit preferences for internship projects.  These aren't for our final assignments, this is just to see who's interested in what projects enough to assign us all interview times when we get back from Plant Trek since we don't have time to interview with everyone.  The deadline was 12/28 at midnight (11:59:59 PM on 12/28) to submit a ranked list of at least eight projects.  People on the internship committee do more work than I ever knew about.  Their efforts have been revealing themselves gradually but the sum is impressive.  I'm sure they loved that I submitted my preferences at 11:57 PM on 12/28.  But still...Thank you team!  (I'll give you my final thanks though when I get my assignment :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...